Halo Collar vs SpotOn Collar – What's the difference?7 comments
We’ve gotten a lot of questions about what makes SpotOn the better GPS fence. We know SpotOn is the more expensive option for two products that seem almost identical. We know selecting the best fence for your dog is a big decision. Though we can’t comment on all of Halo’s features, we encourage you to do your research. Here is a little more info about the technology that powers SpotOn.
SpotOn GPS fence technology is extremely accurate— critical for keeping your dog within his boundaries and safe.
1. SpotOn connects to 25-30 satellites at once. SpotOn simultaneously connects to four satellite systems (GPS, GLONASS, Beidou and Galileo) so your SpotOn Fence will be in constant communication with multiple satellites from all four of these constellations, which means it can more accurately interpret your dog’s locationーtypically to within three feet. Additionally, SpotOn never requires GPS calibration and never needs to recalibrate so your fence boundary will remain consistent over time and it will be ready to go whenever you need to use it!
2. SpotOn has an "active" GPS antenna that dynamically filters out GPS signals partially blocked by building or trees as well as other signals like LTE or radio frequencies that cause interference. By allowing only the best GPS signals to position your dog, SpotOn reduces GPS drift, a phenomena that is common in all GPS products.
When you have poor GPS signals coming through, everything slows down. The satellites communicate with the collar at a delay and your dog gets corrected where they shouldn't.
SpotOn's high-quality antenna gets a better GPS signal. That combined with our intelligent adjustment algorithms, pinpoint your dog’s location and your fence boundary more accurately and drastically reduces false corrections ー even under trees.
3. SpotOn's GPS antenna is optimally placed. The position of the GPS antenna is essential for GPS accuracy and SpotOn makes it easy to know exactly where it is. GPS works best when it has an unobstructed view of the satellites. SpotOn’s antenna is set where your dog’s body cannot block it. Resting at the back of your dog’s neck, it always has a clear view of the sky and can maintain accurate boundaries and a maintain an uninterrupted satellite connection.
4. SpotOn offers True Location™ technology, which balances GPS shift, a natural phenomenon that occurs with any GPS product. SpotOn auto-corrects your dog’s location, so his boundaries and his position are more accurate.
Access to the constellations, combined with the GPS antenna’s quality and location, affects how many satellites your SpotOn dog collar can connect to at once. Better connection to more satellites means boundary accuracy and static correction are not impacted by cloudy weather or tree coverage. Your dog can freely move within the boundaries you set without being falsely corrected or not corrected at all.
There is no other GPS fence as flexible or convenient as SpotOn.
6. SpotOn GPS dog fence allows you to have multiple fence configurations for your yard. With SpotOn, all fences are stored and activated individually. You can create different fence configurations on the same property ー like a daytime fence that includes the woods and a nighttime fence that goes to the edge of the grass. Because Halo collar’s fences cannot be activated individually (all are either on or off), you cannot have any boundary lines overlap in any way, which makes creating multiple fences on your property impossible.
7. SpotOn provides extremely customizable fences. SpotOn’s patented technology allows you to precisely customize your fences to your property with the ability to drop 1,500 fence posts. SpotOn tracks your movement and automatically drops fence posts as you walk, and lets you know when you're close to reaching your max. Halo Collar's fence creation maxes out at 20 fence posts, which you must manually select at different points in your yard. Fencing a large property or getting a curve around a flower bed, shrubbery, or around an obstacle is much easier with more posts.
8. Battery life. A single charge on SpotOn's battery lasts for 18 hours in containment and 12 hours while tracking.
SpotOn is the original GPS fence.
SpotOn gathered a team of engineers that created GPS devices for the US military and applied that knowledge to invent the first GPS containment system for dogs. We hold seven patents, have been in the market since January 2019, and have thousands of dogs who rely on SpotOn. We have tested our system with hundreds of dogs, including independent livestock guardian dogs, rough and tumble farm dogs, and wandering suburban dogs. We’ve worked through challenges with durability, technology, and bugs, identifying and resolving many of the issues Halo users report including the collar falling apart, poor GPS accuracy, and software glitches that result in the dog being corrected where it shouldn’t or not corrected where it should.
We are proud and excited to have just launched our new, next-generation system based on integrating 3+ years of customer feedback and enhanced, more advanced technology.
SpotOn doesn’t make you pay for things you don’t need.
You are not bound to a subscription fee and we have a 45-day money-back guarantee with NO restocking fees.
Cellular plan is NOT required. SpotOn's GPS dog fence does not require you to purchase a cellular plan to create and maintain fences for your dog. There is an option to enable cellular for your SpotOn, which will allow you to see your dog’s location from your phone and receive battery and location notifications on our Verizon or AT&T LTE-M cellular service. Specifically for internet-enabled devices, LTE-M offers coverage in many places where your phone’s 4G LTE service may be weak or unavailable.
We offer a 90 days free as an extra level of protection as your dog is learning the fence (one and two-year plans only). Then you pay monthly, annually, or bi-annually. There is no contract—you can cancel or resume cellular service at any time. Plans start at $5.95 a month. Click here to learn more.
As part of your purchase, we also offer a free training program and a complimentary 1X1 session with one of our certified trainers which is tailored to the needs of you and your pup.
We stand behind our product (and your experience). We offer a 1-year warranty and a 45-day return window with no restocking fees.
And... SpotOn is made in the USA!! Our design and development and customer service teams are in New Hampshire. We proudly manufacture, with both domestic and foreign parts, right here in New Hampshire.
SpotOn works for 1/2 acre to 1000s of acres, so is a great solution for large acreage.
We hope this helps answer your questions! If you would like more information, we can be reached at email@example.com or at 603.488.1504.