OnPoint Systems makes the SpotOn Virtual Fence, which uses patented GPS technology to contain your dog anywhere you go. Users simply walk the perimeter of a containment area and set it on our GPS-enabled dog collar. The collar communicates with satellites and warns dogs if they get too close to the boundary, effectively keeping them in bounds. It's an innovation in that it's the only truly wireless solution meaning you can use it everywhere from your backyard to grandma's house to a campground. We launched in 2019 and have been named a Consumer Electronics Show (CES) Innovation Awards Honoree for 2020, SXSW Finalist in the Wearables Category 2020, Product of the Year from the NH Tech Alliance, and Best New Pet Tech by Wired Magazine.
We are seeking a talented consumer electronics Product Manager to work with the Product Development Team to develop commercially viable and successful products by serving as the voice of the customer and business stakeholders as well as assessing opportunities from a business perspective. This role works across the organization to communicate product road map, product features, timelines, and deliverables to business stakeholders such as Customer Service and Marketing. The desirable candidate is excited to work for a growing start-up and be part of a hands-on team building an innovative business.
Product & Market Research
- Research new product opportunities by evaluating competitive products, the current marketplace, market trends, customer interests, and sales demand including conducting market sizing exercises and penetration scenario analyses. Individual may conduct research or manage external market research resources.
- Determine customers’ needs by specifying the research needed and executing or overseeing its execution by external market research resources. Develop conclusions around product categories, new products, and feature sets the Product Development team should create
- Research competitive products to provide intelligence to product development as well as provide detailed information about how they compare to company’s products for stakeholders such as customer service and marketing
- Interview stakeholders (marketing, manufacturing, customer service) to scope and incorporate product feedback, as appropriate, into product specifications
Product Specifications & Road Map
- Identify and assess the business value of product opportunities, including market size, potential revenue for OnPoint, potential profit, and competitive landscape
- Participate in Ideation sessions with Product Development team to identify new products for exploration
- Work with VP of Engineering to define and clearly communicate product and business requirements: Use Cases, Features, User Experience, Product economics, etc. Identify targeted users, the key problems the products are designed to solve and the key competences of the products. Lead prioritization and trade-offs among customer experience, schedule, performance and cost.
- Work with VP of Engineering to document and write product specifications for product development.
- Conduct cost analysis of product features to facilitate decision making in terms of features that are in and out of scope
- Communicate product specifications including features as well as product development timelines to stakeholders such as customer service, marketing, manufacturing
- Maintain product road map for VP of Engineering and communicates to stakeholders
- Manage external smartphone application development agency, including providing direction on UX and development as well as coordinating other OnPoint stakeholder feedback
- Develop product testing use cases for each stage of development with engineering team
- Inititally, execute product testing along with engineering team. Over time manage internal or external resources to QA product and software
- Run product testing with consumers
- Make product pricing recommendations to sales & marketing based on market research, product costs, and company’s economic requirements
- Communicate new product releases to stakeholders including detailed product information and features needed for customer service to serve the customer and marketing to develop messaging and communications
- Conduct product training for team members
- As needed, serve as product expert for consumer events, trade shows, & media events
- 5+ years of Product Management experience with a consumer product, ideally consumer electronics
- Technical acumen with an ability to quickly learn & adopt new technologies. Ideally, someone who either through formal education or personal interests likes to know how things work, takes apart electronics or builds their own.
- Strong collaboration skills with proven ability to coordinate and manage across the organization to complete projects
- Experience managing voice of the customer and market research to inform product design
- Data-driven approach with excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Interest in working in a fast-growing startup with a hands-on, ready to do anything mentality
- Advanced Excel skills. SQL skills a plus.
- BS in Engineering or Computer Science strongly preferred. MBA preferred.
- Experience working with dogs either professionally or personally a plus. Comfort with touching and working with dogs required.