Senior Mechanical Engineer
OnPoint Systems makes the SpotOn Virtual Fence (www.spotonfence.com), which uses patented GPS technology to contain your dog anywhere you go. Users simply walk the perimeter of a containment area and set it on our GPS-enabled dog collar. The collar communicates with satellites and warns dogs if they get too close to the boundary, effectively keeping them in bounds. It's an innovation in that it's the only truly wireless solution meaning you can use it everywhere from your backyard to grandma's house to a campground. We launched in 2019 and have been named a Consumer Electronics Show (CES) Innovation Awards Honoree for 2020, SXSW Finalist in the Wearables Category 2020, Stevies Gold & People's Choice Awards in the Wearables Category for 2020, Product of the Year from the NH Tech Alliance, and Best New Pet Tech by Wired Magazine. While we are a start-up, we are well-funded and offer competitive salary and benefits packages.
OnPoint seeks a Senior Mechanical Engineer to work on all mechanical aspects of a second-generation collar currently in development. This will involve development of a highly producible, extremely rugged, waterproof electronics system, and means of attachment to the dog. The position will also involve development of high-quality support items and custom packaging.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience with at least 2 years designing consumer products. Consumer electronics experience preferred. Master's Degree or more consumer experience requires less job experience.
- Must have a design thinking attitude and approach, using consumer feedback to design an easy-to-use product that meets consumer needs
- Thrives in a team environment with strong communication skills and ability to work with a multi-disciplined team of engineers to discuss design trade-offs
- Demonstrated experience designing parts using injection molding and other manufacturing methods, i.e.: machining, welding, forming, forging, casting
- Experience designing and developing high tech consumer products that meet IP67 standards highly desirable
- Design for high volume manufacturing a plus
- Surfacing experience a plus
- Must have experience producing engineering drawings and fundamental GD&T knowledge
- Must have experience with finite element analysis and tolerance analysis
- Hands-on ability to design and build prototypes and custom manufacturing jigs strongly preferred
- Ability and interest in learning about new/non-typical manufacturing technologies and processes
- Flexible, willing to learn new things, and pitch in on anyting in a startup environment
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Ability to multi-task, organize, and prioritize work
- Advanced user of SolidWorks or other comparable CAD software required
- Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering required
- Industrial Design skills a plus
- Experience handling dogs or passion for creating products for dogs preferred