With SpotOn, you get custom GPS dog fences at the palm of your hand. Because SpotOn uses satellite technology—not buried wires—the cost of your fence will stay the same, whatever the size of your property. One system, 10 fences, one price. When buying an alternative invisible dog fence, cost can be a significant factor. Compared to the cost of a typical, professionally installed buried wire fence, SpotOn provides more benefit for a fraction of the cost and no maintenance fees.
ANY SHAPE, ANY SIZE
Create invisible dog fences from ½ acre to 1,000+ acres. Follow unusual property lines, fence through obstacles like water, heavy brush or buildings, and more.
MOST RELIABLE & ADVANCED
Our patented True Location™ technology uses four GPS systems at once to maintain precise boundaries and keep tabs on your dog, making it the best invisible dog fence.
A convenient, portable invisible dog fence for weekends away. With no hardware to install, it’s easy to make fences at home, at a 2nd home, on the go, or if you move. Also makes a great camping dog fence.
How SpotOn's GPS dog fence compares to other invisible fences.
The world’s first GPS dog fence, SpotOn simultaneously connects to up to 30 satellites, across four global constellations 一 for greater reliability. Our patented True Location™ Technology pairs GPS data with inertial sensors in your dog’s collar that track the trajectory, speed and acceleration of your dog. Intelligent algorithms take all of this data to predict your dog’s True Location™. So while your dog is roaming free, SpotOn’s tech keeps him on a tight leash to keep him safe. And since all the tech is in the collar, it’s like an invisible fence dog collar — or the fence your dog wears!
Is an invisible dog fence right for you?
Buying an invisible dog fence is a significant investment, both financially and time-wise. There are lots of ‘wireless’ options out there for keeping your dog safe in the yard. Buried wire, or traditional “invisible” fences have been around since the 1970s and have proven to be successful containment solutions for millions of dogs. The first versions relied on a buried wire and an indoor transmitter paired with a radio frequency collar. As fence technology advanced, “wireless” base station versions were introduced, and more recently GPS fences.
How does a traditional invisible dog fence work?
Traditional buried wire fences, such as Invisible Fence® use an underground wire and radio frequency base station housed indoors. They rely on the dog wearing a collar and receiving a static correction within proximity to a boundary line.
Invisible Dog Fence Pros:
• Wire stays in place under the ground
• A customized fence of any shape can be laid
• The technology is decades old and has been used by millions of dogs
• They are great if you have an irregularly shaped yard or need to keep the dog out of certain areas (like a driveway or garden).
Invisible Dog Fence Cons:
• You must dig a trench in the yard (which can be time consuming or expensive)
• The wire can be damaged by lawn mowers or frozen ground and must be repaired in order for the entire system to function Since the system is proximity-based, some dogs can jump over the wire and escape
• Repairs can be costly (+/- $600 a year)
• The collar’s battery has a short shelf life and will die without warning. Replacing the battery can be costly and inconvenient
How do other wireless fences work?
Wireless fences like PetSafe's Free to Roam Wireless Fence™ and Stay & Play Wireless Fence® rely on an indoor base station/radio transmitter and allow for a certain radius of movement within them.
Wireless Fence Pros:
• Since the unit relies only on the base station, you don’t need to worry about wires
• These systems are often less expensive, you can take it if you move
Wireless Fence Cons:
• The wireless fence is limited to a fixed circular perimeter
• It can be difficult to fine-tune and can be tricky to place given the size and shape of the property
• It can be affected by topography—for instance, the circle can be shifted blocked by hills or tall structures
How does a GPS dog fence work?
GPS-based wireless fences, like SpotOn GPS Dog Fence, are powered by satellites. The most recent upgrade to wireless fence technology, GPS dog fences eliminate the need for buried wires and base stations and can be used anywhere there is a GPS signal (basically anywhere on the planet). See why SpotOn’s invisible dog fence collar is the future of fencing.
GPS Dog Fence Pros:
• Easy and hassle-free. Just walk the fence boundary with the SpotOn dog collar and SpotOn app the rest. Then manage everything from your phone.
• You can create fences of any shape and any size and over tricky terrain
• You can store multiple locations at one time
• An outdoor dog fence that lets your dog swim! The collar is waterproof & all weather proof.
• You can create multiple fences in your yard (so your pup can have a large play area in the day a smaller area for potty breaks at night)
• If your dog escapes the fence, you can receive an automatic smartphone notification. The smart tech knows which way your dog is headed and will never correct a dog returning home.
• It’s a portable, invisible dog fence. Since your dog is trained to the tones (not your yard), it’s easy to take with you when you travel or move. The instant perimeter option also makes a handy camping dog fence.
• You can create a GPS fence anywhere without the need for a power source so you can use it anywhere
GPS Dog Fence Cons:
• Because the technology all needs to fit into a self-contained unit, the SpotOn dog collar tends to be larger than traditional Invisible Fence® collars
• Because the battery powers the collar, the fence, and all communications to and from the satellite and cellular networks, the rechargeable battery lasts a full day.
How effective are 'invisible' fences for dogs?
Though the many wireless fence options vary in capability and price point, there is one constant to ensure effectiveness for any invisible fence: you must properly train your dog to understand and respect his boundaries. We’ve got plenty of resources to help! Learn more about training your pup to a wireless dog fence with these helpful videos.